SOAR® runs national awareness, education and prevention programs to empower survivors of sexual violence and transform the public’s understanding and acceptance of rape victims.
What else Does SOAR Do?
- Hosts Operation Freefall: The Two-Mile High Stand Against Sexual Assault® each year to increase awareness and raise funds.
- Hosts SOAR SPA® (Something Positive Afterward®) to offer survivors and their loved ones an opportunity for healing and bonding.
- Hosts Living Out Loud™, which is an improv workshop to assist survivors in reclaiming their laughter.
- Manages Don’t Skirt The Issue™, a clothing line with a purpose.
- Provides presentations on rape awareness, focusing on the healing process.
- Educates groups who work with sexual assault victims (such as law enforcement, medical professionals, mental health workers, and advocates) on victim sensitivity and related issues.
- Provides survivors and their families and friends with referrals for counseling, medical assistance, victims’ rights information, legal assistance, advocacy, etc.
- Works to improve the response system for victims by collaborating with local, state, and federal agencies on public policy.
- Advocates for the advancement of DNA technology and the reduction of the rape-kit backlog, to promote accuracy and success in the prosecution of rapists.
- Provides the media with information and tools to discuss sexual assault in productive and positive ways.